I get asked a lot about menopause supplements that work for women who can't or don't want to go down the HRT route.
Supplements do just that, they ‘supplement' a good diet and healthy lifestyle. They are not ‘magic pills'.
I would always work on getting the diet right first, managing stress levels, cleaning up your environment and getting the right kind of exercise first before looking at supplements.
All of these things are vital steps to balance your hormones and stay healthy, whether you're pre, peri or post menopause!
But supplements can provide the missing nutrients that your body needs to make you feel good.
You can watch the video below or listen to the podcast.
General Supplements for Women over 40
We unfortunately can't always get everything we need from our diets once we get past 40. There are many reasons for this including soil quality, processing and pesticides, stress levels, our gut health and how much we're absorbing and ageing in general.
So there are some basic supplements that I recommend for women over 40;
- A good multivitamin/mineral
- Vitamin D3 with K2
- Vitamin C
- Omega 3 Fish Oil (EPA/DHA)
You can get my favourite brands over at Approved Vitamins.
Or you can go to Feel Supplements and bundle up some of their formulas to get these basic nutrients plus other beneficial ones to support specific issues. This can be a more cost effective way to do it (especially if you subscribe). My favourite Feel bundle is;
- Algae Omega 3
You may want to then add specific ones like Menopause, Sleep, Digestion or Mood depending on your individual symptoms.
My Top 10 Menopause Supplements
As well as eating hormone balancing foods (including phytoestrogens), and taking the general supplements above, these are some of my favourite supplements that can really target common symptoms of peri and post menopause.
- Feel Menopause – this is a formula I helped create, so it's naturally going to be my favourite! A powerful mix of botanicals, B vitamins and isoflavones, and really cost effective.
- MPowder Peri-Boost – I love this high protein plant based powder designed to nourish your body through peri menopause. 24+ plant-based vegan ingredients targeting hormone balance, fatigue, bone density and skin elasticity!
- Dr Vegan Menofriend – this is a blend of clinically tested, naturally sourced botanicals, minerals and phytoestrogens (not just for vegans!). Use my code NICKI10 for a 10% discount.
- Nutri Advanced Menohop – this formula contains hopein, from the hop plant, together with isoflavones from soy, which both act as phytoestrogens to support hormone balance.
- Promensil – this standardised Red Clover Isoflavone formula is clinically proven to help with hot flushes and other menopause symptoms.
- Pure Encapsulations Maca 3 – Maca has been used for centuries to help with stamina, sex drive and menopause symptoms.
- New Roots Menopeace – a high quality blend of plant extracts including Dong quai, Chaste-tree, Red clover, Dandelion and Black cohosh.
- Nutri Advanced Mega Mag PeriMeno Plus – a blend of magnesium, vitamins C, B6, B12 and folate, with rhodiola, ashwagandha, sage, shatavari and red clover.
- AVogel Menoforce Sage – sage is an age old herbal remedy for hot flushes, night sweats and excessive sweating.
- Wild Nutrition Bespoke Woman Botanical Menopause Complex – this formula combines herbs, organic botanicals, ashwagandha & Food-Grown® Magnesium to support the natural shifts that occur both physically and emotionally during the peri-menopause and menopause.
These formulas are generally safe, but do not take phytoestrogens if you're on HRT.
And like everything that affects your hormones, if you do have any unwanted side effects or reactions, then do stop taking them immediately. Please check with your Dr if you're on medication or have a diagnosed health condition.
If you want to try any of these supplements, you can get them over at Approved Vitamins (apart from MPowder and Dr Vegan where you can go direct to their store).
Use code nicki10% for a 10% discount on all supplements in my collection. And click this link to get 15% off your first subscription of Feel Menopause.
Do let me know how you get on!